Sunday, October 10, 2010

Cake in a Mug

Gina sent me an email with a recipe for a single serving cake-in-a-mug. I loved the idea, so I hunted out the best recipes. Here are my favorites. One is good for a quick chocolate cake fix. The other is an easy way to make ahead multiple mixes to keep on hand or give as gifts. I think this is what my co-workers are getting this Christmas!

CHOCOLATE CAKE IN A MUG


In a mug, whisk together:
2 T oil
2 T water
1/4 t vanilla extract

Add the following, whisking after each addition:
4 T granulated sugar
2 T cocoa powder
4 T all-purpose flour
dash of salt

Microwave for 60-90 seconds. Enjoy with a spoon. Careful, cake will be hot. (Serve IN the mug.)
For an extra delight, serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yum!

NOTE: I cooked mine for 90 seconds in a 1200 watt microwave. According to online sources, for each 100 watts your microwave differs for any recipe, you should increase or decrease either power OR time by 10%. For example, cook longer in a 1000 watt microwave and less in a 1500 watt microwave, or cook at power "8" in the 1500 watt microwave.



CAKE IN A MUG MIXES
Cake:
1 cake mix, any flavor
1 (4 serving size) instant pudding mix, any flavor

Mix thoroughly. Measure 1/2 cup into a baggie, tie with a ribbon. [For around the house, snack-size ziplock work perfectly.] Makes 8-9

On label:
Combine mix, 1 egg, 1 T oil and 1 T water in a mug. Microwave 90 seconds. (See NOTE above)

Glaze:
1/3 c powdered sugar
1 1/2 t dry flavoring (powdered lemonade mix, powdered breakfast orange juice mix, cocoa powder, etc.)

Combine and tie in a different bag.

On label:
While the cake is cooking, combine glaze mix with 1 1/2 tsp water. Pour on cooked cake.

NOTE 2: To make it even easier for recipients. Add 1 1/2 tsp powdered egg replacement to each "mix" and change the label to: Combine 1 T oil and 2 T water in a mug. Microwave...  (Mine pictured here were made with the powdered egg replacement.)


The cake pictured here is butter pecan cake mix with butterscotch pudding. Other combinations:
Lemon cake mix- lemon pudding  (use powdered lemonade in the glaze)
Yellow cake mix- vanilla pudding
Devils food cake mix- chocolate pudding (use cocoa powder in the glaze)
Pineapple cake mix- coconut pudding
Feel free to experiment! For a simple, unflavored glaze, just mix the powdered sugar and water.
______________________________________________________

From Laney:
We tried a variation on the Chocolate Cake with Ibarra* Chocolate.  I melted one round per serving, decreased oil to 1 Tsp & omitted the sugar.  I followed the remaining directions exactly.  I then added 2 T. Chocolate Chips & 1 T. toffee bits.  We had to let them rest for 5 mins after cooking.  Thanks to Erika I found a new go to dessert!
(*Ibarra is Mexican Hot Chocolate you can find at the grocery store.  It contains sugar and cinnamon.  There are some other variations of it.  I would assume bakers chocolate would work well, too.) 

4 comments:

Millie Motts said...

Wow! Am I ever glad you tried it first! This is as good as America's Test Kitchen. ;)

Laney said...

And the photos are even better. You're quite the aficionado!

Erika said...

Now you know how I spend my Sunday nights. :)

Laney said...

We had the chocolate ones for our FHE desserts (Mom and I) - SO EASY and tasty. I'll definitely be experimenting with these. Thanks Erika!