Tuesday, January 1, 2013

savory baked meatballs - and BBQ sauce

In an effort to keep my new year's resolution of bringing lunch to work at least 3 days of the week (how sad is that?) I've been spending quite a bit of my break on Pinterest in search of recipes.  Here's one I found, made, and loved so much that I finished it off before I got a picture...so, you'll have to be happy with this one:

1 lb hamburger
2 eggs, beaten with 1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 cup panko or bread crumbs
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup minced fresh basil

Mix all ingredients with hands. Form into golfball sized meatballs (mine were a little bigger - about the size of clementines) and place on baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I used panko breadcrumbs, which made for a good, solid meatball - but not very moist - so I made some "BBQ sauce" to go with.  I imagine if you used fresh breadcrumbs it would be more moist. 

Here's the recipe - and I use that term loosely - for the sauce:
Start with several good squirts of ketchup and add (to taste): Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, steak sauce, yellow mustard, chili powder, onion powder, garlic salt, and Tabasco sauce. 

2 comments:

Erika said...

Sounds yummy! Anything so easy and spectacular is definitely worth a try.

Laney said...

I need to peruse here more often for meal planning ideas. These sound tasty!