Sunday, August 28, 2011

Breakfast Cookies II-Gluten free!

I came across this recipe on comfybelly.com and had to try it. I like that it's so open about add-ins. I forgot to take a picture, but they were yummy. I made mine with chopped dried apricots, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds and chopped pecans. The cookies do turn a little darker brown than typical cookies, but it didn't affect the taste.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups almond meal or almond flour (any nut flour will work really) [I ground sliced almonds in my nut/spice/coffee grinder in small batches until I had what I needed.-EP]
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
8 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted (or 1/2 cup coconut oil or vegetable shortening, melted)
1/2 cup honey (or other sweetener)
1 egg
1 Tbsp vanilla
about 2 cups of nuts, dried fruit, seeds (or anything else your heart desires)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350'F.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and blend with a spoon.
3. Add the wet ingredients and blend it well with a spoon.
4. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.
5. Bake 12-15 minutes, or until they are starting to brown around the edges.
6. Cool and enjoy. Store in a sealed container.

(The author notes that if you want them crunchier you can put them in a dehydrator on a low temperature settings for about 2 hours.)

No comments: