Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Homemade Breakfast Sandwich Recipes

Breakfast is the meal I struggle with the most while working full time.  I'm not a morning person and prefer taking my breakfast with me to work.  I also don't like prepackaged foods much.  I also have a short attention span and want variety.  Yup - I'm a mess!  Since I have some vegetarian tendencies, I struggle getting enough protein as well.  The two recipes here have helped. 

Turkey Sausage & Egg Sandwich
During our recent move I was forced to eat frozen meals for a couple days.  I tried the Jimmy Dean D-Lights breakfast sandwiches. 

They were ok, but I knew I could make better ones with a little more nutrition.  I try to never eat pork so mine were made with turkey breakfast sausage.  I found our bulk sausage in the freezer section.  It said that there were 6 servings per package, but I got 9 out of mine.  (if you leave the sausage partially frozen it's easier to slice into patties. You will have extra sausage patties for future stuff.  I froze my extras.)

6 Whole Wheat English Muffins
6 Slices Reduced Fat Cheese
6 Individually Cooked Eggs
6 Cooked Turkey Sausage Patties

Assemble each sandwich & place in single freezer-proof ziplock bags & freeze.  When time to re-heat, remove from plastic, wrap in a napkin/paper towel and microwave on low for 40 secs.  Flip and microwave for another 40 secs.  Adjust time based on microwave power.  If using a toaster oven separate the sandwich into halves with sausage on one side and egg and cheese on another.  Cook on 350 for 5 mins or until fully heated through.  (Ham or bacon would be good substitutes as well as using biscuits or regular toast for the bread.)
**Nutritional Info:  321 cals, 22 carbs, 17 fat, 23 protein, 3 fiber -- if you prefer egg whites only, it's 53 calories less per serving.

Apple, Honey & Nut Butter Sandwich
If you know my eating habits, you know I hate apples.  However, I feel SO much better when I eat them daily.  I have tried variations of this recipe and below is my preferred. 

1/2 medium Apple, sliced thinly
1 Slice Bread
1 T Nut Butter (Almond, Peanut, Cashew, etc.)
1 tsp pure Honey

Toast bread.  Spread nut butter on toasted bread.  Top nut butter with apple slices.  Drizzle apple slices with honey.  Enjoy!
**Nutritional Info based on my ingredients - Almond Butter, Sprouted Grain Bread, Jazz Apple: 242 cals, 35 carbs, 9 fat, 10 protein, 8 fiber

Note: Other variations of this sandwich use cheese & tofu in place of the nut butter. 

1 comment:

Erika said...

These both look yummy! I'll definitely try them. I also need my breakfast "to go" and these look better than my normal fare.