Monday, June 7, 2010

Fluffy Biscuits

I have been on a quest to find a biscuit recipe that I can make whole-wheat biscuits with that are still flaky and fluffy. FINALLY I found one. *cheering* It's delicious!


2 cups all-purpose flour (I substituted white whole wheat flour)
4 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening (I used unsalted butter)
1 egg
2/3 cup milk

I also added 1 Tablespoon vinegar to make the milk more buttermilky. (I make up my own words when cooking.)

Directions

1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg with milk & vinegar; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
2. Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead 20 times. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
___________________
The dough was really wet and sticky. I added a little extra flour while kneading it. Make sure when you cut them, that you don't twist the cutter. It helps them to rise evenly if you don't twist. I may add more butter in the future. They were great and super yummy with the creamed chicken on top -- think Cheesecake Factory Chicken and Biscuits. I found the original recipe on Allrecipes.com.

No comments: