Thursday, April 15, 2010

Texas Firecrackers

I was introduced to these little beauties at a friend's birthday party. While I'm not normally a fan of spicy food, these things are addictive! And, you can make them more or less spicy if you prefer.

Texas Firecrackers

Ingredients:
2 packages Oyster Crackers (or 1 box of Saltine Crackers)
2 pkgs of dry Ranch dressing (not dip) mix
1 1/2 cups of Canola Oil
4 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes

Directions:
1. Separate crackers into 2 1-gallon bags
2. Stir Ranch mix, crushed red pepper and Canola oil.
3. Pour mixture evenly into bags.
4. Turn bags every half hour for 2-3 hours.
5. Spread onto paper towel to briefly dry, then store in airtight container.
* Crackers get spicier the longer they are left in the bags and they last for a week or two (but I assure you they won't be around that long).
*You can easily halve the recipe.

I left mine in for just the 2 hours. I like the oyster crackers for eating by the handful, like at a party. I think the saltine size would be great with a dab of guacamole or sour cream and half a cherry tomato for an easy elegant appetizer.

2 comments:

Laney said...

MMM!!! I'm so excited to try these. I forgot to ask you how the pepper worked. Thanks!

Lori said...

These ARE delicious! Finally getting around to making some myself. Thank you!