Monday, February 18, 2013

Easy Peasy Whoopie Pies

I was craving dessert the other day (no surprise there), and wanted something chocolate-y without being as heavy as a brownie. [Ok, let's be honest-I didn't have any brownie mix on hand.] The solution: Whoopie Pies--starting with a cake mix and purchased frosting to make it easy peasy!

Ingredients:
1 box chocolate cake mix (I used Devil's Food Cake)
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
3 eggs

2 containers Cream Cheese Frosting

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400'F.

Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Mix ingredients together (med-high speed) 2-3 minutes. (It makes a very gooey batter.)

The original recipe I was looking at said to use a scoop to scoop batter onto the parchment paper, then use the back of a spoon to smooth/shape it down into an even circle. After doing that, I think it may be easier to just spoon the batter into a heavy ziplock bag, snip the corner and pipe the batter into circles. Leave at least an inch between the circles.

Bake 5-8 minutes. Cool. (You could use cooling racks, or just cover half your table with newspaper, put wax paper on top, and use that as the cooling area.)

(I let my cake rounds sit out over night to dry slightly [and because I didn't finish baking them until 11pm...], so that I could stack them up without them sticking together, but you don't have to.)

Empty your tubs of frosting into a bowl and whip 1-2 minutes to make it extra light and fluffy. Spoon frosting into a bag and snip a corner. Take one cake round and turn it flat side up. Pipe frosting to cover it. Top with another cake round, flat side down, sandwich-like.

Voila-Whoopie Pies!

I stored mine in and airtight container in the fridge because I liked them slightly chilled, but they should be fine at room temperature to wrap in plastic and send in lunch boxes, etc. You can also wrap individually and freeze for later consumption.

Yield: about 30 3.5" pies, you can make yours larger or smaller if you want