Monday, December 3, 2012

Korean Chicken Soup


8 cups chicken broth
2 Tbsp finely chopped garlic (I used minced garlic from a bottle)
2 Tbsp finely grated fresh ginger*
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp toasted sesame oil (I think sesame oil makes things taste dusty, so I only used a couple of drops)
1-2 tsp hot chile paste or hot chile sauce (I used a scant 1/4 tsp and it was spicy enough for me)
1 cup shredded cooked chicken
2 scallions, finely chopped
1 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted

Combine broth, garlic and ginger in a heavy saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Add rice, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the rice is tender, 12-15 minutes. Stir in soy sauce and sesame oil; add chile paste (or sauce) to taste. Add chicken and heat through. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.

*You can store fresh ginger in the freezer. It is easier to grate when it's frozen.
From: Eating Well Jan/Feb 1995

1 comment:

Laney said...

Sounds super yummy!