Thursday, September 20, 2012

Saucy Crockpot Chicken

I feel like I should have some cheeky remark for this saucy chicken. :) The truth is that the original name of the recipe--Saucy Sweet and Sour Chicken--was too much of a mouthful, even when I was just thinking about it. So it devolved down into Saucy Chicken. And it is...delicious! A fresh, new taste! I was excited that I had leftovers so I could enjoy it again and again.

2 1/2-3 lbs chicken thighs, skinned (about 6)
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
3 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp vinegar (I used rice vinegar)
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp cold water
hot cooked rice

Place chicken pieces in a 4-quart crock pot and sprinkle with the salt.

In a medium bowl, combine lemonade concentrate, brown sugar, ketchup and vinegar. Pour over chicken.

Cover and cook on LOW 6-7 hours or HIGH 3-3 1/2 hours. Transfer chicken to serving platter, cover and keep warm.

For sauce, pour cooking liquid into medium saucepan. Combine cornstarch and the cold water and pour into the saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. (I was impatient, so I ended up doing another round of cornstarch/water.) Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Pour over chicken and serve.

Yield: 4-6 servings

No comments: