Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pulled Pork with Root Beer BBQ Sauce

Blaine and Laney came up recently and were my guinea pigs for several recipes. This one worked out well because I could leave it in the crock pot while I was at work. I was a little nervous about the sauce, but it passed the test—Blaine said that it was NOT a waste of perfectly good root beer.

I couldn’t find a 3 pound shoulder roast, so I did a 6-lb roast and used it for several meals. I think that worked better for me anyway because I have a 6-qt crock pot. Just double the salt and pepper; the oil, onion and root beer stay the same.

For the sauce, I found the “bottled chili sauce” in the condiment aisle by the ketchup. I only saw a store brand labeled “Chili Sauce-‘ketchup with a kick’”. The bottle said 12 oz, but it barely filled up my 1 cup measuring cup, so I used it all.

Pulled Pork with Root Beer BBQ Sauce

For the pork:

1 2.5-3 pound pork shoulder roast (or 6 pound-see above)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 Tbsp cooking oil
2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
1 cup root beer
2 Tbsp minced garlic

Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut roast to fit into crock pot. Sprinkle meat with the salt and pepper. In a large skillet brown roast on all sides in hot oil. Drain. Transfer meat to a 3 ½-, 4-, or 5- quart electric crockery cooker. (Or a 6-qt like me if you have a bigger roast.) Add onions, the 1 cup root beer ,and garlic. Cover; cook on LOW 8-10 hours or HIGH 4-5 hours.

Transfer roast to a cutting board or serving platter. Let rest 10-15 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove onions from juices and place on serving platter. Discard juices. Using two forks (or your fingers once it cools a little) pull meat apart into shreds. Serve with Root Beer BBQ Sauce. Makes 8-10 servings.

For the sauce:

3 cups root beer (two 12-oz cans or bottles)
1 cup bottled chili sauce (see above)
¼ tsp root beer concentrate (optional)
6-8 dashes Tabasco (optional)

In a medium saucepan combine the 2 cans or bottles of root beer and bottled chili sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.

Boil gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until the mixture is reduced to 2 cups. Add root beer concentrate and Tabasco, if desired.

NOTE: Make ahead—Transfer pork mixture to covered container and chill up to 24 hours. Or transfer to 1-, 2-, or 4-serving freeze containers; seal, label and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight before serving. To reheat, transfer to saucepan; cover and heat over medium-low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. If necessary, add 2-4 Tbsp water to keep mixture from sticking.
Recipe from www.bhg.com

1 comment:

Millie Motts said...

Time to pull out the crock pot!