Saturday, January 7, 2012

Kale Chips

We have a dehydrator that I have been having fun with trying new recipes.  My favorite thing to make with it thus far is Kale Chips.  You can use regular kale - I prefer the Lacinato or Dino Kale personally.

I haven't been able to find lacinato at the regular grocery store, but I can find it at Whole Foods and for those in Texas - Central Market.

1 Bunch Lacinato/Dino Kale
1/2 cup olive oil
pastry brush
wax/parchment paper
Dehydrator or Oven set to 350 F (if you use a dehydrator it's considered "raw" still)
seasonings of choice (I prefer sea salt and garlic powder)

Wash the kale and pat dry with a towel.  Strip the leaves from the stem. To do that, just grab the leaf at the bottom with one hand, wrap the other hand around the base in a loose grip/fist and pull stem and leaf in opposite directions.  I forgot to take a picture showing this.  It's really easy.  You can save the stems to juice if you have a juicer.  You can slice the leaves into smaller pieces or tear them into the size you prefer or leave them whole.
Brush the chips with the olive oil then sprinkle with the seasonings - be sparse with seasonings - dehydrating them makes them stronger.  You definitely need to cover them with oil or you'll just end up with wilted kale - not crisp chips.  I found that out the hard way :D
Arrange the leaves on the drying tray.  Once all are done, stack the trays and turn the dehydrator onto 110 F for 2-4 hours.  Check them periodically and rotate the trays so they dry evenly.  If you're baking them, line a non-insulated cookie tray with parchment paper and bake each batch for 10-15 minutes.(I've never baked them but they turn out similarly from what a friend says.)


Once they're done, eat and enjoy!  I've eaten them plain, with tuna and with hummus - not tuna and hummus together ;)

1 comment:

Erika said...

I've seen recipes for kale chips and wondered how they were. I'll have to give this a try.