Friday, September 9, 2011

From Another Time

My friend, Roxy, inherited "The Household Searchlight Recipe Book" from her grandmother, who was given the cookbook when she married in 1933. It has everything a new bride would need--from making toast to cheese to fillet mignon. And Mimi's written in notes and additional recipes. The book contains quite the kaleidoscope of recipes including Liver Fricassee, Catsup Raisin Cookies, Watermelon Rind Preserves, Creamed Celery and Eggs (that one's for you, Gina), Broiled Squab and Fried Squirrel.


As we paged through, we noticed that prunes were featured in almost every section--buns, cookies, cakes, preserves, sandwiches, icings/fillings, pies, salads, etc. I thought that I would take the opportunity to share a dessert beverage recipe with you.  I give you:

Prune Fluff
1/2 cup prune juice
2 Tbsp vanilla ice-cream
2 Tbsp evaporated milk
Few grains of salt

Combine all ingredients. Whip with a dover beater until light and fluffy. Serve very cold. 1 serving.

If you try it, be sure to post and tell us how it was. I don't want to have all the fun, so I think I'll pass on this one. :) A dover beater (we now know) is an old-fashioned crank egg-beater. Thanks for sharing, Roxy!


2 comments:

B Porter said...

Somehow I think Dixie and Aggie might be interested in the fried squirrel.

Millie Motts said...

1. Neato.
2. The celery recipe title made me gag.
3. I think this is the cookbook I got when we went to the World's Longest Yard Sale...I must check!
4. Prunes? Blech.
5. I agree - the handmade notes ARE the best. (And not just because it makes me feel less guilty about writing in my cookbooks.) ;)