Thursday, July 7, 2011

Sybil's Broccoli Salad

It's hard to say what is so good about this broccoli salad--the flavors just blend and taste great together. (And I'm not even a big broccoli fan.) I've never known anyone who tried this and didn't like it. The picture doesn't do it justice.


5 pieces of bacon-cooked crisp and crumbled
1 large bunch broccoli-cut into small pieces, peel stem and cut into small pieces also (I used two broccoli crowns. The key is the cut them into small pieces--no broccoli trees!)
2 green onions-chopped fine
1 medium carrot-peeled and grated
3/4 cup raisins (I used dried cranberries)
1/2 cup cashews-chopped (I used pecans)

Mix all in a bowl. (Bacon, broccoli, onions and carrot can be prepared the day before. Store in separate bags.)

Dressing:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup honey or sugar
2 T. rice vinegar

Mix well and pour over salad just before serving. Depending on how much broccoli there is, you may not want to use all the dressing--salad should be dressed but not sopping.

4 comments:

Millie Motts said...

Hm. Not sure how I feel about this. ;)

Erika said...

Don't knock it till you try it. If you're not brave enough on your own, I'll make it if you ever come back this direction. I think you will like it.

Laney said...

Broccoli is my 2nd favorite veggie and I like it almost every way I've ever had it. Yes, I've tried this salad over and over and over again at my Gram's. It's one that I won't even make Blaine try - he's a broc hater. Too much like coleslaw for this girl. Enjoy it Erika! :D

Gabby said...

I really liked this, and I don't like coleslaw very much at all. So it's funny that Laney mentioned that it was too much like coleslaw and she didn't like it.

Brian did not really care for this, but then ... it's a veggie, he's a guy, etc. More for me! TFS!