Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cream Scones

These were tender and delicious--even the second day! I added a half cup of chopped dried apricots when I made mine.


2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, cut up
1 cup whipping cream (I didn't have a full cup, so I used milk to make up the difference)
1/2 cup chopped fruit, optional (apricots, currants, etc.)

Preheat oven to 375'F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar; cut in butter with a pastry blender, or two knives, until crumbly. Add whipping cream, stirring just until moistened.

Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. (If you are adding fruit, sprinkle it on top of the dough now.) Knead 5 or 6 times. (As with any biscuit-type dough, the less you work it, the more tender the crumb will be.) Roll to 1/2" thickness. Cut with a 2" round cutter and place on lined baking sheet.

Bake at 375'F for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with preserves and/or whipped cream.

3 comments:

Laney said...

Mmm! These sound lovely. I'll have to remember these for a future brunch for us.

Erika said...

BTW, I tried these using rice milk for those with allergies and they ended up being drop biscuits (too runny to knead or roll). So, I would say if anyone uses something other than cream, you will need to use much less liquid.

Laney said...

These are almost addicting! I couldn't bring myself to open your peach jam just yet. So these only got store bought jam. I might just have to make these again soon and THEN bust out the primo jam.