Thursday, April 21, 2011

Muffins from a Cake Mix

I needed to make muffins for choir practice one dark Saturday night and was too lazy to a) make them from scratch, or b) go to the store for muffin mix. I was saved by a cookbook Mom gave me several years ago of 101 things to make from a cake mix. Even then, I had to doctor it up since I didn't have some of the ingredients. Below is what I ended up with. No one at choir complained!

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

1 white cake mix
1 small box vanilla instant pudding
3/4 cup water
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup quick-cook oatmeal (I used the dry flakes, but I'm sure you could use cooked, if you had it laying around)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp sugar

Preheat oven to 350'F. Lightly grease muffin tins or use cupcake liners, set aside. Mix cinnamon and sugar, set aside. Mix cake mix, pudding mix, water, eggs, applesauce and oatmeal on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in pecans. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture. Bake 19-25 minutes or until light golden brown on top and toothpick comes out clean. Makes 24 muffins.

They probably have more sugar than standard muffins so I can't vouch for their nutritional value, but they saved the day for me.

No comments: