Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Dad's Spanish Rice

This is a special "Dad" dish in the Porter household. I am estimating the quantities, since it is done more by memory. It can serve at least 6 to 8. It's a great one-dish wonder!


1 lb. ground beef
4 cups white Minute Rice, cooked
1 can tomato sauce
1 can hominy, drained
taco or enchilada seasoning
1 cup shredded cheese, divided
1 cashew or peanut

While your rice is cooking the microwave, brown the ground beef. Drain the fat off the meat. In the pan, combine meat and tomato sauce. Season liberally with taco or enchilada seasoning (when you add the rice it will tone it down some). Add hominy, rice and 1/2 cup cheese. Mix to combine. (You can simmer this a while if it's too runny.) Add cashew. Flatten in pan and sprinkle top with rest of shredded cheese. Cover with lid until cheese melts.

Serve with a wedge salad, glass of milk, and bread or tortillas. Whoever finds the cashew in their portion is the lucky winner! (It's usually Mom. ;D)
(Note: For the picture, I just made a half batch.)

3 comments:

Millie Motts said...

YAY-Hooray! I might just have to make this tonight. Perfect anytime, but especially on a cool, rainy evening.

Laney said...

LOVE IT! Thanks Erika. I might have to make this in the next week.

Laney said...

I didn't read the entire recipe until now -- Blaine told me about the 1 peanut/cashew aka The Prize -- and I had to see if that's the version you posted. SO awesome!! *sigh* I love all the Porter Family Folklore.