Sunday, February 20, 2011

Zuppa Toscana

I had this soup at Olive Garden (thank you Sarah!) and loved it.  I found the recipe online and made it this past week.  It's super easy and tasty.  Blaine and Erika both liked it, too.  (I got it from www.TuscanRecipes.com) I added a lot more kale than the recipe called for and thought it was better.
  • 1 lb ground Italian sausage (I used sweet Turkey Italian Sausage)
  • 1½ tsp crushed red peppers (I saved this for individual servings if people opted for it)
  • 1 large diced white onion
  • 4 Tbsp bacon pieces
  • 2 tsp garlic puree
  • 10 cups water
  • 5 cubes of chicken bouillon
  • 1 cup heavy cream (I used Half and Half)
  • 1 lb sliced Russet potatoes, or about 3 large potatoes
  • ¼ of a bunch of kale
  1. Sauté Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot. Drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients.
  2. In the same pan, sauté bacon, onions and garlic over low-medium heat for approximately 15 mins. or until the onions are soft.
  3. Add chicken bouillon and water to the pot and heat until it starts to boil.
  4. Add the sliced potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.
  5. Add the heavy cream and just cook until thoroughly heated.
  6. Stir in the sausage and the kale, let all heat through and serve. Delicious!
Buon appetito!

3 comments:

Erika said...

This was, indeed, very yummy! It was my first encounter with kale where it was more than a garnish. And Laney did a great magic trick with the pot to fit everything in. :)

amberkei said...

This is my favorite soup at Olive Garden and I ALWAYS order it. YUM! I'm excited to try it!

Jasmyn said...

Yum - my favorite too! Thanks for the recipe, Lena!