Monday, January 24, 2011

Slow Cooker Taco Soup

In honor of Soup Month, I'm going to post some of our favorite soup recipes.  I love slow-cooker/crock pot recipes.  You can prep ahead of time and then let the machine do all the work.


1 onion, chopped
2 (16 ounce) can pinto beans
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (16 ounce) bag frozen whole kernel corn
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
12 fluid ounces chicken stock or water
2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 can diced green chilies, undrained
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning (I use 1 T. of my Taco Seasoning here)
3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts, diced (I only used one and it was plenty)
shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
sour cream (optional)
crushed tortilla chips (optional)

Place all ingredients but optional ones into the slow cooker pot. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 7 hours or cook on high for 3 hours.  Stir occasionally as time allows.  Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.
_______________________
This is really versatile.  You can use other meat with it, change the beans and add and subtract easily.  I added chopped spinach to leftovers and increased the tomatoes.  I typically add more tomatoes and some garlic. 

1 comment:

Erika said...

I love that it can cook for that long. Most of the recipes I find wouldn't work for my weekdays because I'm at work for the full day. This one looks yummy!