Friday, December 3, 2010

Mini Pies


We always had loads of pies at Thanksgiving in my family.  Since we were going to Dallas for Thanksgiving, I was concerned about how I'd transport pies.  Plus, the Porter's aren't major pie people so I didn't want to make a bunch of big ones.  Blaine could have one slice of lemon and peach and be good for a year.  

I wanted to try a few new flavors and came up with Mini Pies.  I used my regular & mini muffin tins to make them.  I lined them with muffin paper cups and had a fabulous sous chef assist me in putting in the pie crust.  (Biscuit Cutters are really great for cutting out the right sizes for each muffin tin.)  The muffin papers helped hold the crusts together better than I had hoped.

I made pumpkin, pineapple, peach, lemon & chocolate cream.  For the double crusted pineapple and peach, I rolled out larger rounds of dough and used the overlapping edges as the top crust by folding over the edges and crimping together in the middle.  I also used my cookie scoop to fill the pie shells. 



One regular pie dough recipe made about 48 mini muffin sized pies and 12 regular.  I didn't make just regular muffin sized pies, so I'm not sure how many one batch of dough would make.  It would be at least 24.   All the pies were perfectly sized and transported beautifully in the Rubbermaid containers we bought for them. I will definitely make more mini pies, than regular in the future.

3 comments:

Erika said...

And I can attest to the fact that they were delicious!! And that crust was so nicely done... :D

Millie Motts said...

And I'll put a plug in for the dainty size - perfect for getting some of *everything*. Laney, thanks so much - it definitely added to the spirit of the weekend! Love ya!

Brian Covey said...

2 cute.