Friday, September 10, 2010

Curried Chicken Skewers


Another recipe from my America's Test Kitchen "Cooking for Two" magazine. I didn't know if I liked curry or not, so I thought I would try this. I just marinated mine for 1 hour. It was a nice blend of honey/curry flavor that I found very tasty. I served mine with couscous.

CHICKEN
1 1/2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp garlic powder
2 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
Nonstick cooking spray
Wooden skewers

Combine the honey, curry powder, salt, paprika, pepper flakes, and garlic powder in a large bowl. Slice the chicken breasts on the bias into 1/2-inch-thick strips. (To make it easier to cut the chicken into thin, neat strips, place it in the freezer for 15 minutes.) Add the strips to the spice mixture and toss to coat. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
Position the oven rack 6 inches from the broiler element and heat the broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Weave the chicken evenly onto the skewers. Lay the skewers on the prepared baking sheet and cover the skewer ends with foil (to keep from burning).
Broil the skewers until the chicken is fully cooked and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes, flipping the skewers halfway through. Serve with sauce (see below).

Serves 2 as main dish, more if using it as an appetizer.

SAUCE
1/2 cup 2 percent Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp minced fresh mint
1 Tbsp water
1 scallion, sliced thin (optional)
1 small garlic clove, minced
salt and pepper

Combine the yogurt, mint, water, scallion, and garlic in a small bowl, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until needed.

1 comment:

Millie Motts said...

How did you know I needed a couscous recipe?!

p.s. Now I have a vision of Theme Song Man singing "Cuz-Co!"