Sunday, May 16, 2010

Popcorn x2

I had a sad situation tonight, but the evening was saved--and I'll tell you how.
I was in the mood for :
_____________

Caramel Popcorn

1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. butter or margarine
2/3 c. Eagle Brand (sweetened condensed milk)
3/4 c. Light corn syrup
nuts (optional)


Boil til 234'F (candy thermometer), then pour over 4 quarts popped corn (and nuts, if desired). Spread over wax paper and enjoy. Store in airtight container.
______________

BUT, when I placed my candy thermometer in the pot, I apparently knocked it on the side hard and it broke. In the pot. So I couldn't use any of that caramel. And I didn't have any more Eagle Brand. And the popcorn was already popped. It was so, so sad.

THEN, I got online and looked at popcorn recipes that don't require a candy thermometer and found:
______________

Popcorn Balls

3/4 c. Light corn syrup
1/4 c. margarine
2 tsp. cold water
2 5/8 c. powdered sugar
1 c. marshmallows
5 quarts plain popped popcorn

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the corn syrup, margarine, cold water, powdered sugar and marshmallows. Heat and stir until the mixture comes to a boil. Carefully combine the hot mixture with the popcorn, coating each kernel.

Grease hands with vegetable shortening (or in my case, spray them with Pam) and quickly shape the coated popcorn into balls before it comepletely cools. (You have to work fast, you you'll get burned.) Wrap with cellophane or plastic wrap and store at room temperature.
_____________

It's not as good as the caramel popcorn, but it is still good--more of a rice krispie treat flavor/texture.

1 comment:

Laney said...

Did it hit the spot, or do we need to make some here next week?