Thursday, April 29, 2010

One-Bowl Chocolate Cake (and Ganache)

Here's another recipe in shameless collaboration with Cooking Light. I made this for a co-worker's birthday and it got rave reviews! I used a ganache to ice it (we have a lactose intolerant co-worker), but I think it would also be fabulous unfrosted served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or frosted with regular frosting. The batter tasted a little funny to me initially, but once it baked, it became a rich, decadent cake.

CAKE:
2 c all-purpose flour
1 c granulated sugar
1 c packed dark brown sugar
3/4 c unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 c reduced-fat mayonnaise
3 T canola oil
1 c hot chocolate (I used water/sugar/cocoa pwdr per the side of the cocoa box), still hot
2 t vanilla extract
1/3 c semisweet chocolate chips
Cooking spray--for 9x13 pan

Preheat oven to 350'F.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add mayonnaise and oil; beat with a mixer at low sped until well blended. Slowly add hot chocolate and vanilla; beat with a mixer at low speed 1 minute or until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips; pour batter into a 9x13-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350'F for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.

GANACHE
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa
1/3 c fat-free milk (I used original coffee creamer)
1 (4-oz) bar semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used semisweet chocolate chips. An official semisweet chocolate bar would probably be smoother/richer.)

Combine sugar, cocoa and milk(creamer) in a medium saucepan over medium heat; bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add chocolate, stirring until smooth. Spread ganache evenly over the top of the cake. Let stand 20 minutes or until set.

Sorry there's no picture---there wasn't enough cake left for one! :)

2 comments:

Laney said...

Mmmm! I might have to try this...and I don't even really like cake.

Erika said...

Additional note: I made it again and didn't have enough mayo, so substitute with half mayo half sour cream. I think I liked it even better.